18

For One More Day

Posted by Umema Siddiqi on Saturday, July 24, 2010 in ,
My mother was always writing me notes. She slipped them to me whenever she dropped me somewhere. I never understood this, since anything she had to say she could have said right then and saved herself the paper and the awful taste of envelope glue.

I think the first note was on my first day of kindergarten in 1954. What was I, five years old? The schoolyard was filled with kids, shrieking and running around. We approached, me holding my mother's hand, as a woman in a black beret formed lines in front of the teachers. I saw the other mothers kissing their kids and walking away. I must have started crying.

"What's the matter?" my mother asked.
"Don't go."
"I'll be here when you come out."
"No."
"It's OK. I'll be here."
"What if I can't find you?"
"You will."
"What if I lose you?"
"You can't lose your mother, Charley."


She smiled. She reached inside her jacket pocket and handed me a small blue envelope.
"Here," she said. If you miss me really badly, you can open this."

She wiped my eyes with a tissue from her purse, then hugged my good-bye. I can still see her walking backward, blowing me kisses, her lips painted in red Revlon, her hair swept up above her ears. I waved good-bye with the letter. It didn't occur to her, I guess, that I was just starting school and didn't know how to read. That was my mother. It was the thought that counted. 

For One More Day
by Mitch Albom.

_________________


Finished reading Tuesdays With Morrie and For One More Day by Mitch Albom. These were one of those best books I've read till today. And these books have ignited my love for reading more and more books. Someday I'd surely rob Liberty Books.

And Sophie Kinsella, I'm coming to read the whole of Shopaholic series. =D

Cheerio folks =)

PS: Please suggest me some books. Cuz I'm reading books at a fast speed these days :$

|

18 Comments


Amazing, atleast she made her kid realize that whenever he thinks he is scared of something he can sense the protection of his Mother through that letter.....

Try and get 'Tall Poppies' by Louise Bagshawe and 'Other People's Children' by Joanna Trollope ... and ooo 'Paradise House' by Erica James :)


Okay, I have to add these to my to-read list. :)

And recommendations. Hmm.. I'll get back once I fnish the novels I'm reading. :)

Anonymous says:

nice one :)


Nikki: Oh, this book is awesome-ish. Simply unputdownable! =)
I've noted down the titles. Will surely look for them at Liberty. =D

Siras: And what are you reading these days? Hope you aren't still stuck on to Dan Brown books ;)

Shinday: Indeed =)


Nah, grown out of that stage. :P

At the moment, I'm actually reading Paulo Coelho's, The Alchemist. :) In fact, MOST of Paulo Coelho's books that I've read are really good, if you haven't read them, give it a try.

Before this, was reading Roots by Alex Haley, if you're into Classics, it's a good book. :)

Have a few more books, The Wasted Vigil by Nadeem Aslam, haven't read it yet.

Give Three Cups of Tea a try. Oh, and I'm assuming you've already read, A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner? :)


Read "آوازِ دوست" by Mukhtar Masood. :P


Siras: Paulo Coelho is next on my list.
And nopes, I'm not that much into classics. The only book I've completely read is Journey to the Center of the Earth. Pride & Prejudice is still half-way =(
And yep, I've read The Kite Runner but not A Thousand Splendid Suns. =(

Saadat bhai: Hmm... Arright =)


Oh, well, you HAVE to read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', according to me, it was even better than 'The Kite Runner'! :)


I've heard the same about it. Will surely buy! =)

Anonymous says:

nice piece of writing..nd ya paulo coelho is gud..do read his books..

Greetings from Eastern Seaboard, US says:

Business Books (which you may like if you are into finance)

The Big Short (by Michael Lewis): A Fascinating account of five investors who foresaw the US Housing debacle

House of Lies: How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time (by Michel Kihn); A Hilarious first person account of consultants

Greetings from Eastern Seaboard, US says:

Typo....

House of Lies: How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time (by MARTIN Kihn); A Hilarious first person account of consultants


Oh, House of Lies sounds good. I'd surely try to get it and read =)
Thanks a lot for suggestions. Keep visiting =)


Try Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni' books. I read 3 of them so far, and they were quite good.

Apart from that..hmm, there's Bapsi Sidhwa, Amulya Malladi, Kamila Shamsie. I'm quite sure you'd get them at Liberty. :D


Thanks Qurty Wurty. I hope I find them here. Do let me know the names of the books, so I could easily look for them at other places as well =)

And currently I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I've heard it's better than The Kite Runner. Let's see =)

Greetings from Eastern Seaboard, US says:

I found "A Thousand Splendid Suns" to be a bit depressing... (as compared to The Kite Runner). But then, Khaled Hosseini paints a fairly accurate picture of what some Afghan women go through.


Ahan. I've read 1/3 of the book, and so far I find it interesting. But indeed, some parts are a bit depressing =(

Anonymous says:

A million little pieces by James frey

Ps: am reading tuesdays with morrie and lovign it.. half way through.

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Fragile Girl - Umemalicious All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.